Gorilla Glue or Other Appropriate Glue
Wooden Appliqués from Home Store
Spray Primer (I used a rust blocking primer for metal)
Spray Paint of Your Color Choice (I used Valspar Porcelain Indoor/Exterior Satin Paint)
Glazing Liquid (I used Valspar premixed mocha glaze)
Clear, Flat Finish Sealer
Here are the steps I took to complete this look:
1. Wipe down bench with lightly damp cloth.
2. Use wire brush to remove loose paint or finish if any.
3. Sand and smooth any edges where paint has loosened.
4. Wipe away any sanding residue to start with a clean, clear surface.
The "old" bench had metal cut outs on the back. I didn't like that look and wanted to change this. Notice the cut out detail in the above photo. To change this look and to give the bench more detail, I added wooden appliques. Here is what the bench looked like after I glued on the appliques.
5. Glue on wooden appliqués with Gorilla Glue or other appropriate glue. Clamp if necessary and let dry. Wipe away any excess glue that may squeeze out before glue dries.
6. Spray on primer coat and let dry.
7. Lightly sand to ensure a smooth finish if necessary. Wipe away residue before going to next step.
8. Spray on paint color of your choice. If a second coat is needed, you may choose to lightly sand with a fine sand paper between coats for a really nice finish. Be sure to wipe away sanding residue before applying second coat. Let dry.
9. Pour small amount of glazing liquid onto a clean rag and wipe over surface. Wipe away excess glaze with another rag. Apply and wipe away glazing liquid until you have achieved the desired look. Let dry thoroughly.10. Spray with a flat finish clear coat to protect the piece.
Here's the bench after the redo. What do you think? I love how it turned out and the price was certainly right!
Notice all the over spray from the spray paint. I didn't realize how bad the over spray was until I cleaned up. Fortunately, there is a solution for this problem. There is a wonder product called Goof Off 2 that removes dried on latex paint. I put some Goof Off 2 in a container, put on rubber gloves, and scrubbed away with a scrub brush. I then rinsed off my entry floor. I still need to get some more and finish the job, but it made a world of difference!
All I had to do to complete the look was to add the new cushion and pillows. Here's what it looks like with some color added.
I also found some very inexpensive art at the same big box discount retailer. Since it will hang in a covered entry I thought I would buy it. It looks like it was made for this set even though it isn't.
I also have a metal console/planter in my outdoor entry. I am planning to paint and glaze this to match the bench and table. I'll stencil the tiles to match the table top.
I'd love to hear what you think about this project! BTW, a reporter and photographer from the major Phoenix newspaper, the Arizona Republic, came to my home and interviewed me today. They will be featuring me in an article about DIY home projects. This bench and table set will be shown as well as my Dollar Store Dog Biscuit Frame. I will post the link to the article when it is published. It probably won't be until September though. The good news about the newspaper visit is that my home hasn't been this tidy in a long time. It was scary clean, except for our home office where I stashed everything. Now all of my mess is in one place more or less and will be easier to tackle. Ha Ha Ha, even I'm laughing at that statement!
I'm linking to these parties:
Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays at New Nostalgia
Practice Hospitality at Southern Fried Dreams
Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented
Toot Your Horn Tuesday at A Silly Little Sparrow
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous
It's So Very Creative at It's So Very Cheri